The earliest development agreement was signed October 15, 1958 in Calgary, and on November 10, a formal charter was drawn up under the Societies Act of Alberta creating the first Urban Development Institute.
The value of the Institute was realized very quickly by the industry and new chapters were formed in other parts of the country.
UDI Alberta was incorporated in 1958 and today has chapters in Edmonton, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Grande Prairie, Cold Lake, Wood Buffalo and Medicine Hat. The UDI Edmonton Chapter became a formalized society in 2014, becoming UDI-Edmonton Region. UDI-Edmonton Region has spent the last several years in partnership with UDI Alberta.
UDI’s sphere of influence has expanded greatly over the years and covers every aspect of land development from engineering specifications to tax reform and legislation.
Chapters maintain strong municipal relationships and UDI Alberta is the voice of the industry at the provincial level. Since the majority of development related issues occur at the municipal level, regional entities such as UDI-Edmonton Region are the most active bodies of our association.